1. We're the oldest girls' school in Ipoh!. The school was founded by Reverend W E Horley in 1895, the same years as he founded the Anglo-Chinese School (ACS) Ipoh.
2. We're commonly reffered as MGS
3. Cheeky friends would name our school as Monkey Girls' School or Monkey Gorilla School.
4. Cottage was build in 1934 and used to be the residence of the principals from the early years. This is why it is now rumuored as haunted.
5. Our sport house system was introduced in 1930 - Cavell, Nightingale, Crosby, Victoria.
( Me - Crosby or Blue. Cavell is Red, Nightingale is Yellow, Victoria is Green. Victoria selalu kalah. Cavell selalu fight dengan Crosby...hehheheh)
6. The school was closed down in 1941 for the Japanese Army. It was later re-opened in 1945 Oct 1st.
7. We're one of the school in Ipoh that wore pinafore according to our school official colour instead of the usual light blue. Maroon was our school colour. The uniform was later standardize to follow the light blue ones around 1970s.(No more maroon for the later generation)
**but the pengawas is still wearing maroon skirt hehhhehe (during my time 1982 - 1986)
8. Our canteen is like a mini food court. Ice creams, roti canai, nasi lemak, laksa, porridge, wan tan mee, chee cheong fun, nasi ayam, thosai, curry mee, tomyam noodles, fruits, mash potatoes, snacks, kacang puteh, roti bakar, even variety off thes. Of food heaven!
**food mmg heaven sungguh laaaa....
9. Student from 80s era would still see Mak Cik Yam our legendary canteen aunty if the re-visit the alma matter.
10. Our school canteen food is cheap! One cup of soya which is the same size as kopitiams, cost only 30 cents. Laksa for 1 ringgit.
11. Our school song is the same for both Primary and Secondary school. Only the last paragraph is removed for the secondary school.
12. "Leave the banner, Wear it onwards" is what usually some students would sing instead of the right one "Lift the banner, Bear it onwards". Are you one of them?
13. Our school song would gradually be sung faster and faster if there isn't any music companion (Naught girls)
14. Our landmark that represents our school would definitely ve the RAINTREE that has stood for almost a century.
15. For those who joined Girls' Brigade, students for non-Methodist school would had trouble understanding what Uniform Body you've joined since it is only available in 3 schools in Ipoh. ACS, MGS and Wesley.
16. The best food we crave during sports day would be the curry fish balls!
17. We would cheer, laugh and scream hard if males teachers were choosed for certain events on stage.
18. Our Monday assembly are at the badminton court with teachers sitting in a row along the classrom's corridor. You would see some sleeping if you look around.
19. Our school badge colour is simple which consist of only two colours. Maroon and White.
20. We're the only school that doesn't need the cloth tag that needs to be ironed to the uniforms. We use name tags.
21. We're lucky to have a big green field.
22. Non-muslims students would sometimes to to the opposite Curry Mee shop to eat after school
23. We have kebun angkat project but always don't attend.
24. We share the school area between primary and secondary. So seeing sights of little primary girls running around our compound is completely normal. We sometimes even make friends with them.
25. Racial isn't much of an issue here. We all mix together for 5 years (or more if you're from the same primary). This is one good thing. We learn about each other's culture and we know how to respect them.
26. Our school students are always well recognized for good English!. Be proud. OUR UTMOST FOR THE HIGHEST!.
FULL CREDIT OF THIS AWESOME PIECE GOES TO MIGGOO CHAN. FOR THOSE WHOU WOULD LIKE TO CONTRIBUTE SOMETHING SIMILAR (COLLEGE/UNI/SCHOOL FACTS) OR ANYTHING THAT COMES TO THE TOP OF YOUR MIND, FEEL FREE TO SEND IT TO THE FACTS@FUNNYMALAYSIA.NET.
Recently we made a trip to Ipoh to reminisce our moment while studying at MGS. We spent the time together for 2 days 1 night at one of the homestay in Ipoh (mini reunion gituk). But too bad, I was not in the picture, sbb kena balik KL awal..hehhehe...but a few of my friends got a chance to visit our old school. How I miss our 5 years at MGS.